Gerrylyn W. Human Resources, Financial Services Industry
From window-shopping in San Marco to dolphin watching in Memorial Park, there is so much to do! My favorite thing to do on weekends is explore the neighborhoods in the area. And the water? It’s everywhere! I love living by the St. Johns River and having access to the Riverwalk. Downtown has a relaxing, welcoming atmosphere for people of all ages. There’s art along the streets and cool statues in the park. There is so much more than what you think or find online. The quality of life is great, the people are warm and the weather is pleasant – I’m happy to call Downtown JAX my home.
Check out Gerrylyn's story.
NYC to JAX: 5 Myths Debunked
· Accessibility. When I moved to JAX, I wasn’t driving so I was worried about getting around town; I wasn't sure how I'd enjoy weekends without mobility. I was pleasantly surprised to discover how many places are accessible by foot. If you do need to travel a bit farther, the Uber drivers are very helpful and have provided great advice and suggestions.
· Amenities. I've enjoyed finding all the comforts I loved in New York - Yoga, cross training, massages, manicures/pedicures and great coffee. And the culinary scene? From food trucks to restaurants, there are so many options.
· Attitude. My favorite part of Jacksonville is the people. Everyone is genuinely kind and welcoming - a stark difference from the cold-shoulder, “get out of my way" New York attitude.
· Crime. I read online there are some bad parts of town, but growing up in New York you realize that happens everywhere. I haven’t had any problems.
· Traffic. There is no traffic! After you experience Manhattan traffic, everything else is smooth sailing.